Lindsey's journey to save the polar bears, the trees, the cows and everything in between: One brussels sprout at a time.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Bounty of the Farmers' Market

Yesterday I woke up and walked to the farmers' market. It wasn't far and my reusable bags weren't heavy to carry. It was a little warm, but overall a huge energy expenditure was not called for. When I got there, I was rewarded for my troubles. There were stands upon stands of fresh zucchini, potatoes, onions, herbs, lettuces, peaches, blackberries and above all TOMATOES! It was a smorgasborg of good eats and I wanted it all. I settled on a few choice items and quickly went home to whip up some fresh local food. This is what I came up with as a fresh, tasty, local snack. It was heaven. So go ahead, head on out to your local market and create something tasty for yourself this week.



Lindsey's 'Dang that's good' Market Fresh Bruschetta

2 Slices local sourdough bread
4 Tablespoons Homemade Pesto (Recipe Follows)

2/3 Cup Mixed Cherry Tomatoes, halved

Pinch of Sea Salt

Toast the bread (I don't have a toaster so I broil mine in the oven) and set aside. Slice the delicious tomatoes in half until you have a nice assortment. Spread two tablespoons of homemade pesto (hold your horses, the recipe is comin') on the toasted bread. Spread the halved tomatoes over the pesto and sprinkle with salt. Devour and take pride in your green, local, sustainable snack that is also to die for!

Homemade Pesto


3 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
1/4 cup vegan p
armesan cheese sprinkles
3 (or more) cloves of garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Wash basil well. Combine everything in a food processor and let it rip! Will keep in the fridge for a week or freeze to enjoy later when the basil is out of season.


No comments:

Post a Comment