Lindsey's journey to save the polar bears, the trees, the cows and everything in between: One brussels sprout at a time.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Pancakes for Dinner!

After a long day of running, cleaning up bodily fluids that don’t belong to me and rounds of CPR all you want to do when you get home is shower and go to sleep. Unfortunately when I got home Saturday night, I was hungry so the bed was not my first stop. It was the kitchen.


It had been an exceptionally hard day and I was craving stress-relieving comfort food. I wanted macaroni and cheese, thick and gooey or a big fat plate of fries but all that was staring back to me from the fridge was a block of tempeh and a cucumber that had seen crisper days. What was a girl to do? Well, in my pre-veggie days whenever I couldn’t scrape a meal together the “Breakfast for dinner” always saved my butt. Why should this be any different? A quick Google search and I had found a vegan pancake recipe that I had all the ingredients for. 20 minutes later I had a delectable stack of sweet pancakes sitting in front of me and I was so satisfied.



I was a little skeptical about how the pancakes were going to turn out, namely whether they would have the loft or “fluff” of the old Bisquick standby, but I was delighted to find that they were slightly more dense than traditional pancakes, but in a good way. They were almost crepe like in their texture and the hint of almond extract I added gave them an extra special touch that put them over the top. They have become my new favorites and I will never go back to Bisquick again. Give them a shot this weekend. I promise you won’t be disappointed. Here is the recipe:


1 1/2 Cup Soymilk (I used unsweetened)
1 Tbs Sugar
2 Tbs Oil
1 1/3 cup All Purpose flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Extract (I used a vanilla and almond combo, heavy on the vanilla)
1-2 Tbs water, to thin batter if needed


Mix it all together in a blender or food processor and get flipping! They seem to cook quicker than traditional cakes so mind the stove people. It can be refrigerated overnight and remixed in the morning for a quick breakfast or used immediately for those late night cravings.


Enjoy!


Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. Lindsey, this looks like a very easy and tasty recipe, which I'm putting in the queue to try, maybe this weekend - thanks for a yum alternative to Bisquick :)

    ReplyDelete