Lindsey's journey to save the polar bears, the trees, the cows and everything in between: One brussels sprout at a time.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

We Eat Real Food #1


Lately, I have been getting a plethora of questions about why I have made the choice to go vegan. When it comes up, which can be anywhere from the cafeteria to dressing room at the mall, people look at me like I have four heads and reply, “well, what the heck do you eat? Lettuce?”

After about 9 billion of these comments in which I calmly and as humorously as possible explain the vast variety of options available, people look at me like I only have three heads and say something about how they would rather starve to death. A friend recently suggested I start carrying around a picture of a slaughtered animal in my wallet so when people ask, I can just slap it down on the table and continue on with my meal. While a little extreme and potentially awkward, I am beginning to see the value in its simplicity and may resort to it in the future.


We eat real food. Food just like you. Just without the torture and guilt thrown in (sorry, soapbox). Take for example these tasty little morsels of heaven from whole foods. When I get a craving for chocolate, I EAT CHOCOLATE. These cookies were soft and chewy and chocolaty in all the ways a chocolate chip cookie should be. In fact, these were so delicious; I ate four in one sitting. Yup. Even vegans can be gluttonous. And we eat so much more than lettuce. It just takes a bit of creativity and ingenuity.


So the next time someone you know sits down to eat a meal and is carefully perusing the menu for something suitable to their veggie lifestyle, take note that we eat real food too. And let them enjoy their meal.


Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment